Khichadi is an all-time favorite comfort food in our family. Anytime we come home from a long trip away or after an exhausting day, khichadi and kadhi or chaas (spicy buttermilk) is a satisfying and welcome meal. Previously, we’ve shown you how to make Mung Daal Khichadi – a mild and nutritious meal for babies or great comfort food when you’re feeling under the weather. Here’s a recipe for Masala Khichadi…with a real kick! It’s a great one-pot meal and you still get your veggies and protein in one shot.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Rice – 1 cup
Toor Daal – 1/2 cup
Water – 3 cups
Oil – 4 tsp
Clarified Butter (ghee) – 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
Asofoetida – pinch
Raw Peanuts – 2 Tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Ground Cloves – 1/4 tsp
Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Garlic – 4 cloves, sliced
Green Chilies – to taste, slit
Ginger – 1 tsp, minced
Potato – 1 medium, diced
Frozen Green Peas – 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
1. Combine Rice and Toor Daal and wash until water runs clear.
2. Add 3 cups water and soak for 15-20 minutes (if time permits).
3. Heat Oil and Clarified Butter in a pressure cooker.
4. Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
5. Add Cinnamon Stick and Raw Peanuts. Cook until Peanuts turn light brown.
6. Add Asofoetida, Turmeric Powder, Ground Cloves and Black Pepper. Mix quickly.
7. Immediately add in Onions and stir well.
8. Add Garlic, Green Chilies and Ginger. Mix and cook for about 1 minute.
9. Add Potatoes, Peas, Salt, Red Chili Powder and mix well.
10. Add Rice and Daal with Water.
11. Check the salt, chili, etc and adjust as necessary.
12. Close the pressure cooker, cook until 1 whistle sounds and immediately switch off the stove.
13. Wait until the pressure from the cooker is gone before opening the lid.
14. Serve hot with Kadhi or Chaas.