Mint Chutney is very versatile. It can be served as a dip with appetizers (example pappad, samosas, kebabs, etc.) or it can be used as a spread in sandwiches – with cucumber or tomatoes and cheese (yummy!) and best of all, it plays a key part in making chaat.
Mint leaves – ½ cup, packed
Onion – ¼ of a medium
Tomato – ½ of a medium
Ginger – ½” piece
Garlic – 1 clove
Green Chili – 1 or to taste
Lemon Juice – ¼ cup
Salt – ½ tsp (or to taste)
Chaat Masala – ½ tsp
Sugar – ½ tsp
1. In a blender, add the following – Onion, Tomato, Ginger, Garlic, Green Chili and Lemon Juice. Grind well.
2. Add in the washed Mint leaves, Salt, Chat Masala and Sugar and grind again till the mixture becomes smooth and everything has blended well.
3. Pour into serving dish.
4. Makes about ½ cup and can be served with pakodas, Puda, chaat….
1. Be sure to use only the leaves of the Mint – discard the stalks.
2. When available, add a little bit of raw green mango to the chutney for additional flavor.
3. Store in the refrigerator. Mint Chutney has a shelf life of about 7-10 days.
4. Mint Chutney freezes well also and can be kept for the times when Mint is not readily available.