A traditional Indian meal is incomplete without a pickle. There are so many different ways of making pickles – cooking, fermenting over days in the sun or fresh pickles. This Mango Pickle recipes takes a few days and may sound like a tedious and a long process but the end result is just amazing and you can enjoy the fruits of you labor by relishing it over months or years. Take a step back in time and enjoy this art that goes back centuries in time.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Pickling Time: 20 – 25 days
Raw Green Mangoes – 2 large (1 lb)
Garbanzo Beans (Kabuli Chanas) – 1 cup
Salt – 2 tbsp or to taste
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
Mustard Seed Powder – 1 tbsp
Coriander Powder – ¼ cup
Red Chili Powder – 1/4 cup or to taste
Kashmiri Chili Powder – 1 tbsp
Fenugreek Seeds – ¼ tsp, powdered
Sesame Seed Oil – 1 ½ cups
1. Wash and dry Mangoes.
2. Remove seed and cube Mangoes with a shape knife.
3. Wash and completely dry Garbanzo Beans.
4. Spread Mangoes and Garbanzo Beans on a tray, cover with thin cloth and allow them to dry overnight.
5. Next day, mix dry spices in a bowl – Salt, Turmeric, Asafoetida, Mustard Seed Powder, Coriander Powder, Red Chili Powder, Kashmiri Chili Powder and Fenugreek Seed Powder.
6. Add Mangoes and Garbanzo Beans. Mix well.
7. Add Sesame Oil, mix, cover and set bowl out in the sun for about 20 days. Mix daily.
8. Transfer to clean, dry jar and store at room temperature or refrigerator.
9. Enjoy over the next few months.
1. Use Kashmiri Chili Powder to make a mild pickle.
2. Skip the Garbanzo Beans and the pickle will be ready in 12 days.
3. Oil should be floating on top to prevent spoilage.