Sambal Chilli Sauce is one we all recognize – the Chilli Sauce bottle with the green lid! Yum! A dollop of it goes great with mostly all the Asian dishes and if you happen to like spicy foods, you are probably consuming it by the gallon! This version is one from Indonesia, but there are many different versions of it with many different ingredients. Well, simply make it at home and enjoy this simply simple recipe.
Red Chillies (fleshy kinds) – 150gm / 1/3lb
Garlic – 1 bulb, peeled
Oil – 4 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Water – 1 cup (minus 2 tbsp)
Vinegar – 2 tbsp (optional)
1. Fine chop or pulse the Red Chilli in a food processor.
2. Mince the Garlic.
3. In a skillet, heat the Oil on medium heat.
4. Add in the Garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Add in the Red Chilli and mix.
6. Sprinkle some Salt to allow the Garlic and Red Chilli to release moisture.
7. Cook till the moisture evaporates and add in quarter of the Water and cook till it evaporates again.
8. Repeat till the Water is almost used up. Save 2 tbsp and use White Vinegar instead.
9. Lower heat, mix well.
10. Transfer and allow it to cool down.
11. Store in a dry clean container in the refrigerator for upto 10 days.
12. Use as an accompaniment with Asian cuisine or soups.