This is a quick and an easy South Indian Chutney that goes so well with a lot of South Indian dishes. The Curry Leaves give a flavor that is very distinct and fresh. A make ahead chutney that is a wonderful change to the coconut chutney that is usually served is great when you have a lot of Curry Leaves on hand, pruning down you Kadi Patta Plant for the winter.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 5 Min
Makes: appox 3/4 cup
Curry leaves – 2 cups, loosely packed
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chili – 1
Asafoetida – 1/8th tsp
Green Chili – to taste
Fresh Coconut – 1/2 cup, shredded
Tamarind Paste – 2 tbsp or to taste
Salt – to taste
Jaggery – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Water – as needed for grinding
1. Wash and pat dry the Curry Leaves and set aside.
2. In a wok, heat Oil and add in Mustard Seeds and allow them to splutter.
3. Lower heat and add in the Dry Red Chili, Asafoetida and the Curry Leaves.
4. Mix well will the Leaves are coated with Oil.
5. Increase the flame to a medium and add the Green Chili and shredded Coconut.
6. Mix and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Transfer to a bowl and allow it to cool down.
8. Once cooled, transfer to a grinder and add Tamarind Paste, Salt, Jaggery and Water and grind to a smooth paste.
9. Transfer to a bowl and serve with Dosa, Idli, Vada, Adai or use as a spread on toast.