Rava (Rawa) Pongal is a type of healthy upma because it’s made with protein packed mung daal. The mung daal also provides great texture to the normally soft sooji upma. Try this delicious and comforting recipe (courtesy of Girija Challa) for your next weekend breakfast or brunch.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
Rava/Suji – 1 cup (175g)
Mung Daal – 3/4 cup (approx 150g)
Water (for Mung Daal) – 2 cups
Ghee – 1 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Daal – 1/2 tsp
Peanuts – 2 Tbsp
Whole Black Peppercorns – 10-12
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Minced Ginger & Garlic – 1 Tbsp
Green Chilies – slit, to taste
Curry Leaves – few
Water – 4.5 cups
Salt – to taste
Lime Juice – to taste (optional)
Cilantro – chopped for garnishing
1. Dry roast Mung Daal in a skillet until fragrant and light pink. Remove from pan, cool and rinse with water to clean.
2. In the same skillet, dry roast Sooji (Rava) until fragrant and light golden.
3. In a pressure cooker, add washed mung daal, 2 cups water and a little salt. Pressure cook for 1 whistle and remove the pressure after 2-3 minutes. Daal should be tender but whole, not mushy.
4. Heat Ghee in a pan on medium heat.
5. Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
6. Add Cumin Seeds, Urad Daal, Black Peppercorns and Peanuts. Cook until Peanuts are light golden.
7. Add Asafoetida, Curry Leaves, Ginger/Garlic, Green Chilies – cook for 1 minute.
8. Add 4.5 cups of water and salt to the pan (water can be heated in the microwave to save time).
9. Cover and bring mixture to a boil.
10. Add roasted Rawa to the water and continually mix so no lumps form.
11. Add cooked Mung Daal and mix.
12. Keep mixing frequently until the water evaporates and the pongal comes to desired consistency. Cover and let it rest for 3-5 minutes.
13. Lime Juice (optional) can be added.
14. Garnish with chopped cilantro (coriander leaves).
15. Serve hot.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
What is rawa rava pongal, healthy Indian breakfast recipes, how to make upma, mung daal upma recipe, indian brunch ideas, south indian recipes.