How many times have you been unimpressed by the lack of flavor of some store bought rasam powders? Many of these powders or masalas start out fresh and flavorful but lose their potency over time, especially if you don’t use them very often. How do you combat this problem, you ask? Simple…make you own fresh rasam powder at home with this easy Homemade Rasam Powder recipe.
Toor Daal / Split Pigeon Peas- 2 tbsp
Whole Black Peppercorn – 1/4 cup
Whole Coriander Seeds – 1/2 cup
Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp
Dry Red Chillies – 5 or to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1.5 tsp
Kashmiri Mirch / Degi Mirch – 1 tsp or as needed
1. In a heavy bottomed stainless-steel pan, add in all the ingredients, except the Turmeric Powder and Degi Mirch.
2. Heat the pan and the dry-roast the spices on a low-medium flame. Stir continuously.
3. Allow the Toor Daal to change color slightly and all the spices to release a beautiful aroma.
4. Take it off the flame and transfer the ingredients to a plate or a bowl and allow to cool completely.
5. Once cooled, grind into a fine powder in a spice-grinder.
6. Add in the Turmeric Powder and Degi Mirch and give it one more whirl to mix the ingredients in well.
7. Store the Rasam Powder in an air-tight container along with your spices.
8. Use as needed.