Breakfast needs to be quick, simple, comforting and healthy! And for some, add savory to the list! Spruce up your mornings with this fabulous dish that will have you looking forward to mornings again. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Steel Cut Oats – 1/2 cup
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves – a few
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/8th teaspoon
Green Chillies – to taste, finely cut
Onions – 2 tablespoons, diced small
Green Peas – 2 tablespoons, soaked in hot water for a few minutes
Carrots – 2 tablespoons, cut same size as the Onions
Water – 1.5 cups
Salt – to taste
Red Chilli Flakes – a pinch, optional
Yogurt – 2 tablespoons
Water – 2 tablespoons
Cilantro – few leaves, chopped
1. In a heavy bottom pan, heat the Oil on medium heat.
2. Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
3. Add in the Curry Leaves and the Asafoetida and mix into the Oil.
4. Add in the Oats and the Green Chillies and roast for about 2 minutes on low heat.
5. Add in the Onions, Peas and Carrots and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring.
6. Pour in the Water, Salt and Red Chili Flakes. Mix
7. Allow the mixture to come to a boil.
8. Once it starts boiling and the bubbles appear, lower heat and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Keep stirring occasionally.
10. Turn off the flame.
11. In a separate bowl, combine the Yogurt and the 2 tablespoons of Water and mix till smooth.
12. Add the Yogurt and Water mixture to the pan and combine.
13. Sprinkle and garnish with Cilantro and serve hot.
1. It is important to toast the Oats well or else, they will be sticky and slimy.
2. Add in veges of your choice and change the flavors or omit them totally if you are running short on time.
3. Turmeric is very healthy, add a pinch and make this a super breakfast 🙂
4. Other optional vegetables – spinach, corn, bakchoy, zucchini, ….the list is endless!