Fish, when delicately cooked with exotic flavors, creates the perfect balance of taste seeping into the fish without overpowering it. In this recipe, we wrap the fish and steam it with some spices and the results are just mouthwatering and yet, delicate. The banana leaf flavors the fish ever so beautifully and delicately, taking it to another level, leaving you happily satisfied.
Prep time: 15 min
Marinating Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 15-18 min
Fish Fillets (tilapia, salmon, flounder, halibut) – 1 lb
For the Marinade:Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Garlic Cloves – 5 large
Ginger – same amount as garlic
Fresh Shredded Coconut – 2 tbsp
Dry Red Chillies – to taste
Green Chillies – to taste
Cilantro – handful
Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
Coconut Milk – 1/4 cup
1. Wash and pat dry the Fish Fillets.
2. Salt lightly and keep aside for 10-15 min. to remove fish odor.
3. Meanwhile, make the marinade.
4. Combine everything into a spice blender and blend into a fine paste.
5. Wash the salt off the fish and pat dry with paper towels.
6. Marinate and cover the fish. Marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge.
7. Wipe the Banana Leaf and place the fish in the center.
8. Wrap the fish with the banana leaf and tie with a thread.
9. Place in a steamer, cover and cook for 15-18 minutes.
10. Once done, unwrap and transfer onto a plate and serve hot.
1. Baking Method: Follow the same steps but place in a 350 degrees F, pre-heated oven and bake for 15-18 min.
2. No banana leaf? No worries! Wrap in a foil and bake or steam.