Try this easy and delicious Rava (Semolina or Farina) ladoo aka laddu recipe. It’s a great make-ahead dessert option. With fragrant saffron and coconut, it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Thank you Shantha Dwarkanath for this wonderful recipe!
Fine Rava/Sooji – 2 cups
Unsalted Butter – ½ stick ( 4 ounces, or 113 grams)
Shredded Dry Coconut – 1 ½ cups
Sugar – 2 cups or 1 ½ cups if you want it less sweet
Evaporated Milk – 5oz can (147ml)
Cardamom Powder – ½ tsp
Saffron – 1 pinch, powdered (optional)
Edible Camphor – 1 pinch, powdered (optional)
Raisins – ¼ cup, roasted in a little butter
Cashew/Almond/Pistachio – ¼ cup, coarsely chopped and roasted in a little butter
* Melt Butter in a non-stick pan on medium heat.
* Add Rava/Sooji and fry until you get the nice roasted Rava aroma.
* Add Shredded Coconut and Sugar and mix well on low heat for few seconds.
* Add Raisins, Nuts, Saffron, Cardamom Powder, and Edible Camphor – Mix well.
* Add Evaporated Milk and turn off the stove. Keep mixing for few minutes until the Evaporated Milk is well incorporated.
* Remove pan from stove.
* Dip your hands in cold water, take small amount of the mixture (golf ball size) and roll it into balls.
* Makes approx. 35 to 40 ladoos depending on the size you make.
* Let the Ladoos cool completely before storing them in an airtight container or Ziploc bags.
* Store the Ladoos in the freezer – they stay fresh for months! (…but remember to serve at room temperature).