Funnel Cake is a State Fair favorite and has the longest lines possible and honestly, we think we go there just to be able to enjoy this wonderful treat. The “yummy, sweet, warm, crispy-outside and soft-inside” goodness makes the long lines so worth the trouble and effort.
Prep Time: 7 min.
Cook Time: 3-4 min for each cake
Makes: approx. 5, 7″cakes
Egg – 1
Milk – 1 cup
All- Purpose Flour (Maida) – 1 cup
Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Oil – for deep flying
Powdered Sugar for garnish
Cinnamon Powder for garnish (optional)
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the Egg, Milk and Vanilla Essence.
2. Sift together the Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt.
3. Add the Sugar into the dry ingredients.
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients a little at a time ensuring there are no lumps formed.
5. The consistency should be thin and add milk if needed.
6. Heat Oil for deep frying (approx 360 degrees F).
7. Using a finger, close the tip of the funnel and fill the funnel with the batter.
8. Release the finger from the tip of the funnel and in a circular motion allow the batter to flow into the Oil.
9. Fry until golden brown (approx 2 minutes).
10. With the help of tongs and a fork carefully turn the funnel cake over.
11. Allow the underside to cook for a couple of minutes.
12. Drain on paper towels for 1 minute and transfer to a plate.
13. Sprinkle generously with Powdered Sugar and Cinnamon Powder (optional).
14. Enjoy warm.