Fruit cake is one of the most recognized holiday treats. It’s packed with the goodness of fruits and nuts and aromatic spices. Make a batch for your holiday party with this delicious recipe from Ammini Ramachandran, renowned cookbook author of Grains, Greens, and Grated Coconuts.
Raisins – 1 cup
Dates – 1 cup, chopped
Candied Orange/Lemon Peel – 1/4 cup, sliced thin
Brandy or Rum – 1/4 cup
Unsalted Cashew Pieces – 1 cup
Sugar – 6 Tbsp
Water – 3 Tbsp
Lemon Juice – few drops
Boiling Water – 1/2 cup
Unsalted Butter – 2 sticks (8 oz) at room temperature
Powdered Sugar – 2 1/2 cups
Eggs – 3 large or 4 medium (separated)
Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
All-Purpose Flour – 2 cups
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Cinnamon Powder – 1/2 tsp
Ginger Powder – 1/4 tsp
Clove Powder – 1/4 tsp
Nutmeg Powder – 1/4 tsp
Brandy – optional for soaking cake
1. In a medium pan, add Brandy/Rum, Dates, Raisins and Orange Peel. Cook for 1 minute on medium heat.
2. Add Cashews and continue to cook for 1 minutes until heated through. Keep aside.
3. In a small pot, add 6 Tbsp Sugar and 3 Tbsp water and few drops of lemon juice. Swirl pan to mix – do not use spoon.
4. Heat until sugar changes color and becomes caramelized. (approx 7-8 minutes).
5. Add 1/2 cup boiling water and swirl pan again to mix well. Keep aside.
6. In a large mixing bowl, combine softened butter and powdered sugar and beat with hand blender.
7. Add one egg yolk at a time to the mix and blend well.
8. Add Vanilla Extract and blend.
9. Combine all dry spices, baking powder and flour and sift it into the bowl, adding little at a time and blending.
10. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
11. Lightly coat baking pans with spray cooking oil or regular oil.
12. Add caramelized sugar syrup a little at a time into mixing bowl and blend.
13. Add fruit/nut mixture into mixing bowl and mix with a spoon.
14. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until they are fluffy and soft peaks form.
15. Fold beaten egg whites into the cake batter.
16. Pour batter into greased baking pans and bake for approx 1 hour at 325 degrees F. For smaller pans, baking time may vary.
17. Remove cake from oven and allow it to cool for few minutes.
18. Garnish with powdered sugar.