Since there’s never a shortage of Indian festivals, it helps to have simple yet delicious desserts on hand for your family and friends to enjoy. Watch this video for Cracked Wheat Payasam and serve it as a alternative to the Rice Kheer or Sevia Kheer recipe. The richness of the coconut milk and unique sweetness of jaggery make this dessert perfect, even for large gatherings. It’s a great make ahead dessert and can be had hot, warm or cold making it even better.
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Serves – 4
Cracked Wheat (fine) – 1/2 cup
Water – 2 cups
Milk – 1 cup
Coconut Milk – 1 can (13.5oz/400ml)
Cashews pieces – 1 Tbsp
Golden Raisins – 1 Tbsp
Jaggery – 1/2 cup or to taste
Ghee – 1 Tbsp
Grated Coconut – 2 Tbsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
1. Add Cracked Wheat and Water in a pressure cooker and cook on high until one whistle sounds. Switch off stove and allow the pressure to go down on it’s own.
2. Open pressure cooker and turn on stove to low heat.
3. Add Jaggery to the cracked wheat and let it melt.
4. Add Milk and allow it to come to a boil and thicken on medium heat.
5. Add Coconut Milk, allow it to come to a boil and cook for 5-7 minutes until desired consistency is reached. Remove from stove.
6. Dry roast Shredded Coconut in a small skillet until fragrant and add to cracked wheat.
7. Heat Ghee in same skillet. Add Cashew pieces and saute for 30 seconds.
8. Add Golden Raisins and allow to them to plump up.
9. Add Cashews/Raisins to the Cracked Wheat and mix well.
10. Serve hot or cold.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make kheer for pujas, daliya ki kheer, daliya khir