This Mother’s Day, surprise Mom with a moist and delicious Carrot Cake. This easy carrot cake recipe can be made with or without eggs! Top it off with a simple cream cheese frosting (we’ll show you how) or enjoy it plain…Mom will be impressed!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Cool Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 8 – 12
All-purpose Flour (Maida) – 2 cups (300g)
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Cinnamon Powder – 1 to 2 tsp (your preference)
Nutmeg Powder – 1/4 tsp
Yogurt – 1 cup (140g)
Brown Sugar – 1/2 cup, packed
Sugar – 1 cup
Vanilla -1 tsp
Carrots – 2 cups (300g), finely shredded
Walnuts – 1/2 cup, chopped (reserve few for garnishing)
Salted Butter – 1 stick (4oz), melted (If using unsalted butter, add 1/2 tsp salt to flour)
Eggs – 2
For eggless cake – Flaxseed Powder – 2 Tbsp mixed with 6 Tbsp warm water (allow it to sit for 10 mins)
Butter – 2 oz (1/2 stick) at room temp
Cream Cheese – 8 oz at room temp
Vanilla – 1 tsp
Powdered Sugar – 1 cup
Beat Butter, Cream Cheese and Vanilla until smooth. Add Powdered Sugar and beat until smooth.
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F or 180 C.
1. In a mixing bowl, add All-purpose Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Cinnamon Powder and Nutmeg Powder. Mix well.
2. In another large mixing bowl, add Yogurt, Brown Sugar, Sugar and Vanilla. Mix until sugar dissolves.
3. Add Eggs or Flaxseed Mixture and mix. Add Flour and whisk until a smooth batter is formed.
4. Add Carrots, Walnuts and Butter. Mix well.
5. Lightly butter the bottoms and sides of 2 9inch cake pans and dust with flour. A 9×13 inch rectangle pan can also be used.
6. Evenly divide the batter into the 2 cake pans and smooth the top.
7. Bake for 30 minutes at 350F/180C.
8. Remove from Oven and allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
9. Flip them out onto waxed or parchment paper and allow them to cool completely before frosting. If you do not wish to frost the cake, you can enjoy it immediately.
10. Place one cake (face down) on a platter.
11. Lightly frost only the top of the cake.
12. Place second cake (face down) over the first cake and frost top and sides evenly.
13. Sprinkle a few chopped walnut pieces over the top to garnish.
14. Tastes best at room temperature or warmed for few seconds in the microwave.