One of the most famous street foods from Pune, India is Misal Pav. Made from sprouted moong (mung) beans or sprouted moth beans, it has the perfect combinations of flavor and texture. We have used an Instant Pot here because we had a lot of requests and Electric Pressure Cookers are all the rage these days, but this recipe is very easily do-able on the stove-top as well. Try this healthy mouth-watering vegetarian/vegan one-pot meal recipe using your Instant Pot.
Check out Prajakta’s website: https://profusioncurry.com/
Prep Time: 10 mins plus 2 days sprouting time for moong beans
Cook Time: Instant Pot Saute Mode 20 mins, Pressure Cook 0 mins, NPR 5 mins
Serves: 4 to 6
Dry Moong Beans – 1 cup, soaked overnight and sprouted for a day or two.
Oil – 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
Onions – 1.5 medium, chopped finely
Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
Garlic – 1 Tbsp, minced
Whole Black Peppercorns – 1/2 Tbsp
Tomatoes – 3 medium, chopped fine
Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 Tbsp or to taste
Cumin Powder – 1/2 Tbsp
Coriander Powder – 1/2 Tbsp
Water – 1/4 cup or as needed to deglaze pan
Salt – to taste
Water – 4 cups
For Garnishing – chopped Onions, Cilantro, Green Chilies, Lime Juice and crunchy Farsan.
1. Turn Instant Pot on Saute mode and heat 2 Tbsp Oil.
2. Once Oil is hot, add Onions, a pinch of salt and cook till Onions are translucent.
3. Add Ginger, Garlic and Whole Black Peppercorns and cook till onions are golden brown.
4. Add Tomatoes, a little salt and cook till tomatoes are mashed completely with the onions.
5. Remove mixture and grind to a smooth paste.
6. Turn Instant Pot back on Saute mode and heat 2 Tbsp Oil.
7. Once Oil is hot, add Cumin Seeds and let them sizzle.
8. Add ground paste and cook till mixture clumps together.
9. Add Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Cumin Powder, and Coriander Powder. Mix well and add 1/4 cup Water or as needed to deglaze pan.
10. Add Salt to taste and sprouted Moong Beans. Mix well.
11. Add 4 cups Water and check/adjust Salt.
12. Turn Instant Pot to Pressure Cook (Manual) mode and adjust time to zero (0) minutes.
13. Once pressure cooking is done, allow NPR (Natural Pressure Release) for 5 minutes and then manually release the pressure.
14. Misal is ready to serve. Garnish with chopped Onions, Cilantro, Green Chilies, Lime Juice and crunchy Farsan.