Stuffed paratha are always a special treat. They serve their purpose of being the bread (or vehicle) part of a traditional Indian meal, but with their own unique twist. Many things are used to stuff paratha and raw papaya is definitely a great option. Similar in texture to radish (or mooli), shredded raw papaya is shredded, seasoned with just a few key ingredients and stuffed into chapati dough. The final product is so flavorful that it can stand on its own or be enjoyed with some pickle, raita or as part of the meal. Try this simple recipe for raw papaya paratha today!
Scroll down for detailed recipe video.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Makes approx 6-8 parathas
Raw Papaya – 2 cups loosely packed, shredded
Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
Cilantro – 10 sprigs, finely chopped
Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) – 1 tsp or to taste
For Chapati Dough:
Chapati Flour – 1 1/2 cups plus extra for dusting
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Warm Water – 1/2 cup + few more tablespoons if needed
Oil for pan frying
1. Add Salt to shredded papaya and allow to sit for 10-15 mins.
2. Meanwhile, mix Salt, Oil and warm water in Chapati Flour and knead into a soft dough. Cover and let it rest for 10 – 15 mins.
3. Press small portions of papaya with your hands to squeeze out the liquid.
4. Once all the liquid is removed, add Green Chilies, Cilantro and Dry Mango Powder (also additional Salt if needed). Mix well.
5. Portion Papaya mixture and Chapati Dough into equal amounts.
6. Using a little dry flour for dusting, press a dough ball into a 3 inch circle.
7. Take one portion of papaya and place it in the center of the circle.
8. Wrap the Dough around the papaya by pinching the dough all the way around. Twist and remove excess dough.
9. Place the stuffed ball into the dry dusting flour and roll it around.
10. With a rolling pin, start rolling out the paratha, using more dry flour for dusting if necessary.
11. Heat a tawa or skillet on medium heat and place rolled out paratha on the hot tawa.
12. Cook until the color of the dough changes a bit and flip over.
13. Allow it to cook another minute or so, drizzle oil on the top and spread with a spoon. Flip the paratha over and press with a spatula.
14. Drizzle a little more oil on this side, spread with a spoon and flip again.
15. Keep pressing with the spatula until fully cooked.
16. Repeat with remaining paratha.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make stuffed paratha, raw papaya recipes, can you eat raw papaya, different types of Indian flat breads, how to make perfect round roti, chapati.