Phulka, Fulka, Phulki, Roti are only some of the names given to this wonderful Indian unleavened bread. We at Show Me The Curry will refer to it as ‘Phulka’ – a staple in most Indian households and enjoyed on an everyday basis. The look my kids get on their faces when the Phulka balloons up and the ‘Wow’ each and every time are the small pleasures in life!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Makes: 8-10 phulkas
Whole Wheat Chapati Flour – 1.5 cups
Warm Water – 2/3rd cup
Chapati Flour – for dusting
1. Pour the Chapatti flour in a big open mixing bowl.
2. Pour the Warm Water a little at a time and start kneading.
3. Knead till the dry flour is all absorbed and it forms a nice dough.
4. Use a couple of drops of Oil and rub on the dough so it does not form a crust.
5. Cover and allow the dough to rest for about 15 minutes.
6. After 15 minutes, uncover and pinch a bit of the dough, about the size of a golf ball.
7. Form a round ball and flatten between the palm of your hands.
8. Roll it in the dry flour and dust off all excess flour.
9. Put it on the rolling surface and start rolling with a rolling pin.
10. Dip in the dry flour as needed to avoid sticking to the surface.
11. Make round phulkas.
12. Meanwhile, heat the Tawa/Skillet on medium heat.
13. Once it is nice and hot, lay the phulka on the Tawa.
14. Allow it to cook and flip once you see bubbles appear.
15. Allow it to cook for another minute.
16. Increase the flame to the maximum.
17. With the help of tongs, pick up the Phulka and place the flip side on the flame.
18. Allow it to balloon up and flip again.
19. Once you see a few brown spots appear on the Phulka, take it off.
20. Smear some ghee or butter and it’s ready to serve hot.
1. The dough can be made in a food processor as well.
2. These are best served hot, but if you are going to be serving them a little later, invest in a hot case.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
What is the easiest method to make perfect roti or phulka, soft rotis, how to make rotli balloon up.