Indian snacks are awesome, but when we look into the health factor, they go from 30 to 0 in 2 seconds flat. Poha Chivda or Chidva is a wonderful healthy snack alternative to the fried ones, you so yearn for at the stores. This Poha Chivda recipe has a great shelf life and is so easy to make. Make a big batch and store it or a small batch and keep it fresh.
Thin Poha – 3 cups
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Green Chili – to taste (finely chopped)
Roasted Chana Daal (Daliya) – 3 tbsp
Whole Raw Peanuts – 3 tbsp
Golden Raisins – 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Citric Acid – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
Sugar – 1 tsp
1. Heat the Poha in the microwave safe bowl for 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute.
2. Grind the Salt and the Citric Acid to a fine powder.
3. Grind the sugar to a fine powder seperately.
4. In a non-stick pan, heat the Oil at medium temperature.
5. Once the Oil is hot, add in the Mustard Seeds. Allow them to pop.
6. Add in the Green Chilis and the Curry Leaves and cook for a few minutes.
7. Add in Whole Raw Peanuts and cook for 1 minute.
8. Add in the Roasted Chana Daal and cook for another minute.
9. Add in the Golden Raisins and cook for 30 seconds.
10. Add in the Turmeric Powder and the Salt & Citric Acid Powder. Mix well.
11. Add the Poha and mix very well till all the Poha is yellow and no white is visible.
12. Once it is mixed well, turn off the stove and allow it to cool for just 1-2 minutes.
13. Sprinkle the Sugar Powder and mix well.
14. Allow the Civda to cool down to room temperature before you store it.
1. It is best to grind the Sugar yourself.
2. Adjust any or all of the ingredients to your need to suit your requirments.
3. Store it in air tight container or a ziploc for weeks. It does not need to be refrigerated.