Spinach is not the only healthy leafy green vegetable. Mix fresh Methi Leaves with potatoes for this delicious and healthy subzi. The kids won’t even notice the greens mixed in with their favorite – potatoes!
Potatoes – 3 cups, diced (about 3 medium potatoes)
Fresh Methi Leaves – 1 bunch, washed well and roughly chopped
Oil – 4 tsp
Fennel Seeds (Saunf) – ¼ tsp
Haldi (Turmeric) – ¼ tsp
Hing (Asofoetida) – pinch
Salt – ½ tsp (or to taste)
Red Chili Powder – ¼ tsp (or to taste)
Dhania Powder – 2 tsp
Jeera Powder – 1 tsp
- Heat Oil in a non-stick pan with a cover.
- Add Fennel Seeds and allow them to sputter.
- Add Haldi and Hing.
- Immediately add Potatoes and stir well.
- Add Salt, Red Chili Powder, Dhania Powder and Jeera Powder – mix well.
- Cook covered for about 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add Methi Leaves and mix well.
- Cover again and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Serves 4
- Fennel Seeds have a strong sweet flavor. If you don’t care for them, substitute Jeera (Cumin Seeds).
- After cutting potatoes, rinse them in water to remove excess starch and to prevent them from turning dark.