Mint Chutney is very versatile. It can be served as a dip with appetizers (example pappad, samosas, kebabs, etc.) or it can be used as a spread in sandwiches – with cucumber or tomatoes and cheese (yummy!) and best of all, it plays a key part in making chaat.
Mint leaves – ½ cup, packed
Onion – ¼ of a medium
Tomato – ½ of a medium
Ginger – ½” piece
Garlic – 1 clove
Green Chili – 1 or to taste
Lemon Juice – ¼ cup
Salt – ½ tsp (or to taste)
Chat Masala – ½ tsp
Sugar – ½ tsp
- In a blender, add the following – Onion, Tomato, Ginger, Garlic, Green Chili and Lemon Juice. Grind well.
- Add in the washed Mint leaves, Salt, Chat Masala and Sugar and grind again till the mixture becomes smooth and everything has blended well.
- Pour into serving dish.
- Makes about ½ cup and can be served with pakodas, Puda, chaat….
- Be sure to use only the leaves of the Mint – discard the stalks.
- When available, add a little bit of raw green mango to the chutney for additional flavor.
- Store in the refrigerator. Mint Chutney has a shelf life of about 7-10 days.
- Mint Chutney freezes well also and can be kept for the times when Mint is not readily available.
Watch the video and learn!