When we talk about pickles, Fresh Mango Pickle is top on our list. Now we have not figured out if we eat pickle with food or food with pickle! What we love about this one is the crunch in the mango and it can go from the refrigerator to your plate to your stomach in less than an hour…how cool is that? This Fresh Mango Pickle is from South India and is called Maangaa Curry or Maangai Keeru In Tamil.
Raw Green Mango – 1
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Sesame Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Asofoetida – 2 pinches
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Wash and cut the mango into small pieces, with or without the peel, discarding the seed.
- Add Salt and Red Chili Powder to taste and mix well.
- In a small skillet on medium heat, warm the oil.
- Once hot, add in the Mustard Seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add in the Fenugreek Seeds and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the Asofoetida and Turmeric Powder.
- Stir and take it off the flame.
- Add the seasoning to the cut Mangoes and mix well again.
- Store in the refrigerator for a 4-7days.
- Health tip – For people with high blood pressure or other medical issues, this is perfect- use ‘NoSalt Salt’ and half the quantity of oil.
- Add to sandwiches for an extra kick and a wonderful crunch.
- Perfect accompaniment to Yogurt Rice and tastes good with Chapatis and Vegetables as well.