|Prev Recipe|||||All Recipes..|||||Next Recipe|
When we talk about pickles, Fresh Mango Pickle is top on our list. Now we have not figured out if we eat pickle with food or food with pickle! What we love about this one is the crunch in the mango and it can go from the refrigerator to your plate to your stomach in less than an hour…how cool is that? This Fresh Mango Pickle is from South India and is called Maangaa Curry or Maangai Keeru In Tamil.
Raw Green Mango – 1
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Sesame Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp (optional)
Asofoetida – 2 pinches
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Wash and cut the mango into small pieces, with or without the peel, discarding the seed.
- Add Salt and Red Chili Powder to taste and mix well.
- In a small skillet on medium heat, warm the oil.
- Once hot, add in the Mustard Seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add in the Fenugreek Seeds and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the Asofoetida and Turmeric Powder.
- Stir and take it off the flame.
- Add the seasoning to the cut Mangoes and mix well again.
- Store in the refrigerator for a 4-7days.
- Health tip – For people with high blood pressure or other medical issues, this is perfect- use ‘NoSalt Salt’ and half the quantity of oil.
- Add to sandwiches for an extra kick and a wonderful crunch.
- Perfect accompaniment to Yogurt Rice and tastes good with Chapatis and Vegetables as well.
Prev Recipe | All Recipes.. | Next Recipe
Pin It Tweet
- Mangai Thokku
Most Indian households have as many different types of pickles in the house as they have relatives!!! Ours is no different – you can never...
- Aachari Baingan (Pickled Eggplant)
This recipe wins as my favorite hands down. It is so flavorful and the combination of the tomatoes, eggplant and the spices….beautiful, beautiful!!! Ingredients: Eggplant...
- Pickled Jalapenos – Desi style
For all the pickle-lovers out there….this one is for you!! This ‘Pickled Jalapenos’ recipe is quick to make and can spruce up any meal. Also,...
- Tamarind (Imli) Chutney
Tamarind Chutney is one of the all time favorites amongst Chutneys. You can serve it with appetizers, make chaat with it or serve with Dahi...
- Tomato Chutney
“Tomatoes are now eaten freely throughout the world, and their consumption is believed to benefit the heart among other things. Lycopene, one of nature’s most...
Other Interesting Indian Pickles & Chutneys
- Mangai Thokku