Kadhai Chicken is another one of those signature dishes at Indian restaurants. The Kadhai Chicken has a very unique flavor. The amazing part is that it is not a dish that is overloaded with spices, yet the few that are there just make this one fantastic dish. The flavor and the aroma of the fresh ground coriander seeds is simple yet amazing. A big thank you to Anita Krishnan for this great recipe.
Prep Time:20 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Skinless Chicken (with or without bones) – 1 1/2 lbs (680 g)
Whole Coriander Seeds – 2 Tbsp
Fenugreek Seeds (Methi) – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 3 Tbsp
Whole Dry Red Chili – 2 or to taste
Onion – 1 large (approx 3/4 lb or 300 g), sliced
Ginger/Garlic – 2 Tbsp, minced
Tomatoes – 2 large (approx 400 g), chopped
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Dry Mango Powder (Amchoor) – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Pureed Tomatoes – 6 Tbsp (from 1/2 large tomato)
Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) – handful, chopped
Bell Pepper (Capsicum) – 1 large (250 g), sliced
Evaporated Milk – 1 to 1 1/2 cups (depending on desired consistency)
Green Chili – 2 or to taste, slit
Ginger – 1 inch piece, julienne for garnishing
1. Dry roast Dry Red Chili, Coriander Seeds and Fenugreek Seeds on low heat.
2. Roast till they are light golden and there is an awesome aroma.
3. Once done transfer into another dish to stop the cooking process and to allow it to cool down faster.
4. Once cool, coarse grind.
5. In a pan, heat Oil.
6. Add in the onions and allow them to turn brownish but not burnt.
7. Add Ginger and Garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
8. Add in tomatoes, mix and cook for 5-6 min till the tomatoes soften up.
9. Add in the coarsely ground masala and mix.
10. Add in Chicken. Mix.
11. Add Salt, Amchoor, Turmeric Powder & Garam Masala. Mix, cover and cook 10-15 min.
12. Stir in between.
13. Add Tomato Puree and handful of fresh cilantro. Cook for 2 minutes.
14. Add sliced bell-pepper.
15. Reduce heat and add cream or evaporated milk.
16. Allow it to come to a boil.
17. Garnish with slit Green Chili and Julianne Ginger.
18. Serve hot.