On a trip to Poland, my husband was introduced to Zapiekanka, a type of Polish street food. As he recalls, it was “fast, cheap and delicious”. Traditionally Zapiekanka is a baguette filled with mushrooms and cheese plus ham or other type of meat and is a common sight on Polish street corners. Try our recipe for Zapiekanka (or Zapiekanki), the ShowMeTheCurry variation of this delicious and nutritious meal.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15-20 mins including bake time
Serves: 2 to 3
Olive Oil – 1 Tbsp
Bell Pepper – 1/2, chopped
Mushrooms – 4 to 5, sliced
Onion – 1/2 small, chopped
Garlic Powder – 1/2 tsp
Crushed Red Chili Flakes – optional and to taste
Italian Seasoning – 1/2 tsp
Pasta Sauce – 1/2 cup or as needed to lightly coat the veggies.
Pickled Jalapenos – to taste (optional)
Black Olives – 1/4 cup
Salt – to taste
Shredded Cheese – 1 cup or to taste (divided)
Italian Bread or Baguette – Thin Variety
Preheat Oven 450F/232C.
1. Heat Olive Oil in a skillet.
2. Add Bell Pepper, Mushrooms and Onions.
3. Season with Garlic Powder, Crushed Red Chili Flakes, and Italian Seasoning. Mix well and cook until Onions are lightly caramelized, stirring frequently.
4. Add Pasta Sauce and mix well.
5. Add Jalapenos, Olives and Salt to taste. Mix well and turn off stove.
6. With a serrated knife, cut into the Bread at an angle near the top and make it into a boat shape. The part you remove can be saved for later use.
7. Mix 1/2 of the cheese into the veggie mixture and quickly mix so that the cheese does not melt.
8. Immediately fill the bread boat with the mixture and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
9. Bake in a preheated oven (450F/232C) until the cheese is lightly golden and bubbly (approx 5-8 minutes).
10. Serve hot.