Pedas are a wonderful and delicious mithai (sweets) that are very popular and are often served during Diwali. Traditionally, it is made with milk that is cooked and cooked and cooked…till it thickens. It has a smooth and silky texture and it just melts in the mouth. One Peda will never be enough…so here we have a simplified version that is just as tasty and a lot easier to make. Another interesting fact about Pedas – a lot of people distribute sweets (mithai) anytime there is a baby born….so if it is boy, its Pedas and if it is a girl, it’s usually Burfi. But it doesn’t have to be Diwali or you don’t have a birth in the family to enjoy this mithai…..enjoy them anytime with this quick and easy recipe. We have to thank Jyotika Zaver for sharing this fantastic recipe with us.
Makes 40 bite size pedas (approx little bigger than the size of a quarter)
Instant Dry Milk (Milk Powder) – 2 cups (150gm)
Sweetened Condensed Milk – 1, 14oz can (396gm)
Unsalted Butter – 1, 4oz stick (113gm)
- In a microwave safe dish, melt the butter.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Cook in the microwave for 3 minutes, stirring very well after every minute.
- After the 3 minutes, mix well again and leave aside for the mixture to cool down enough to handle.
- Once the mixture has cooled down, grease your hands and make balls.
- Gently press the balls and flatten them to shape…round and flat.
- Decorate them with colored sugar, almonds, cashews, pistachios or raisins.
- Let the pedas set and cool down.
- For a pretty presentation, place them in baking cups and serve.
- Powder some cardamom seeds and add to the mixture for additional flavor.
- Roll out the peda mixture and cut with cookie cutter for some fun shapes.
- For best results, store in the refrigerator but serve at room temperature.