Souffles have a WOW factor to them, the name, the lightness, the melt-in-your-mouth goodness. And if has chocolate added, even better! Try these little cakes of joy and get ready to be impressed by your own culinary skills.
Prep Time: 30 min
Bake Time: 8-10 min
Serves: 8 approx.
Chocolate Chips – 1/2 cup (4 oz), bitter-sweet or semi-sweet
Large Eggs – 3
Sugar – 2 tbsp + 4 tbsp
Cream of Tartar – 1/4 tsp
Salt – pinch
Butter – to grease ramekins
Sugar – to coat the greased ramekins
Powdered Sugar – for garnish
1. Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
2. Butter the ramekins (or any other oven safe bowls) well and dust them with Sugar. Set aside.
3. Using a double-boiler method, melt the Chocolate Chips into a smooth sauce.
4. Remove from heat and set aside allow it to cool down.
5. Separate the Egg Yellows and the Egg Whites into different bowls.
6. Whisk the Yellows till they turn pale yellow.
7. Add in 2 tbsp of Sugar, Vanilla Extract.
8. Whisk until every incorporates well.
9. Fold in the cooled-down Chocolate Sauce.
10. Whisk the Egg Whites to for soft peaks.
11. Add in Cream of Tartar and pinch of Salt.
12. Whisk to form soft peaks.
13. Add in 4tbsp of Sugar, little at a time and keep whisking till it forms stiff peaks.
14. Mix in 1/4 of the Egg Whites into the Egg Yellows.
15. Once mixed well, add the balance and fold in gently until there are no white streaks.
16. Pour the batter into the the prepared ramekins to 3/4 of the way.
17. Wipe the edges.
18. Place the Ramekins on a baking tray or a baking sheet and place in the oven – 3/4 of the way down.
19. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until done.
20. Remove and sprinkle with Powdered Sugar and serve immediately.
21. Cover in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for a couple of hours but bake right before serving.