Kala Channa Subzi is a a great way to get a high dose of protein and fiber into your diet. This dish can be served as a side dish or a snack. Have it with chapatis or puris or have it by the bowlful.
Soak Time: 8-12 hours
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 1 hour
Kala Channa – 2 cups, soaked overnight
Salt – 1 tsp
Water – 4 cups
Oil – 1 tbsp
Jeera / Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Hing / Asofoetida – 1/8th tsp
Haldi / Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Onions – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tbsp, minced
Garlic – 1 tbsp, minced
Green Chillies – to taste
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Chaat Masala – 1/2 – 1 tsp
Cilantro – for garnish
Lime Juice – to taste
1. Wash and soak the Kala Channas overnight.
2. Drain water, add Salt and fresh Water, mix.
3. Pressure cook for 2 whistles,on medium-high then lower flame to simmer and cook for another 45 minutes.
4. Allow the pressure to realease and then open the cooker.
5. In a pan, heat Oil on medium heat. Once hot add Cumin Seeds. Allow them to sizzle.
6. Add in Hing, Turmeric, Curry Leaves, Onions, Ginger, Garlic and Green Chillies.
7. Mix and allow the Onions to turn translucent, approx 2 min.
8. Add the Kala Channas to the Pan (minus the water) and mix.
9. Add in the dry spices – Garam Masala, Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder and Chat Masala.
10 Mix and add a little bit of Water (from the cooker) and allow the spices to cook and mix with the Kala Chanas.
11. Adjust the salt and spices if needed, cook for another 2-3 minutes and it is ready.
12. Garnish with fresh Cilantro and a genrous squeeze of Lime Juice.
13. Serve hot.