One time my sister-in-law was over for dinner and I made these crazy potatoes quite by fluke. For quite a while she pressurized me for the recipe. Little did she know what had gone into making them and why I thought they were ‘crazy’! Finally, when I did give her the recipe, this is kinda how the recipe went “so boil and cube the potatoes, open your spice cabinet…left to right, put in a teaspoon of each and every spice you have there…”! She did not believe me;-)
Here is the proof that I was telling the truth, so watch the video and learn how to make these (Crazy) Masaledar Aloo!
Boiled Potatoes – 7 med., cubed (1kg/2.25lb)
Oil – 2 tbsp
Dry Red Chili – 2 or to taste
Curry Leaves – few leaves
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Turmeric Powder/Haldi – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – to taste
Amchur/Dry Mango Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Chaat Masala – 1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice – to taste
Cilantro – 1 big bunch, finely chopped
Green Chillies – to taste, finely chopped
1. Boil Potatoes, a little on the firm-side.
2. Peel and allow them to cool down.
3. Cube the potatoes.
4. Sprinkle the dry spices of your choice on the potatoes.
5. Mix well but gently.
6. Add in Salt, a lot of dry spices have salt so do the taste test and mix.
7. In a pan, heat Oil on medium heat.
8. Once the Oil is hot, add in Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
9. Add in the Dry Red Chili (optional).
10. Add in Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder, Curry Leaves, Green Chillies in that order.
11. Add in the Potatoes and Mix well.
12. Cook the Potatoes till they are heated all the way through and further if you want them caramelized.
13. Sprinkle some Lemon or Lime Juice and Cilantro. Mix well.
14. Serve as a side dish or as an appetizer.