The crisp and crunchy exterior and the soft, moist, and ooh, so flavorful inside…now, that can mean only one thing – Felafel! Now if you have to get off your diet for one fried food, it should be this one, it will be so worth it. Felafels are very versatile and can be had as appetizers, snacks or mains. They are a great vegetarian option for fillings in pita pockets. Added bonus is that they are protein-packed and gluten-free! Enjoy another lip-smacking look into the Middle Eastern Cuisine.
Soak Time: 8 hours
Prep Time: 20 min
Rest Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans – 1 cup (approx 200gm)
Garlic Cloves – 5-6 or to taste
Onion – 1 large (Indian standard) or 1/2 large (USA size), roughly chopped
Mint Leaves – 1/2 cup packed, leaves picked
Flat Parsley – 1/2 cup packed, roughly chopped
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – 1/2 cup packed, roughly chopped
Ground Black Pepper – 1 tsp or to taste
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Lemon Juice – 2-3 tbsp or to taste
Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Kosher Salt – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Green Chilli – to taste (optional)
Harissa – 1/2 tbsp – or to taste (optional)
Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – for pan shallow frying
1. Wash well and the Garbanzo Beans in fresh water overnight or a minimum of 8 hours.
2. Once ready to prep, rinse the Garbanzo beans once again, drain, and put them in a Food Processor.
3. Process till it becomes a bread crumb consistency.
4. Pour out into a bowl and keep aside.
5. In the Food Processor, drop in the Garlic, Green Chilli, and the Onions. Food process a couple of whirls.
6. Add in the Herbs – Mint, Parsley & Cilantro.
7. Process till it is all breaks down to the same size as the Garbanzo Beans.
8. Pour out and combine well with the Garbanzo Beans.
9. Add in Salt, Pepper, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Baking Soda.
10. Mix well. Cover and keep in the refrigerator for 15-20 min. to allow the flavors to combine.
11. Meanwhile, heat Oil in a flat skillet on medium heat.
12. Once hot, make patties/balls of the mixture with your hands.
13. Drop into hot Oil and allow it to cook. Once done, turn and cook on the other side.
14. Remove and place on a paper towel and serve hot.
15. Serve with Pita Bread, Hummus, Tahini Sauce.
1. Add Salt and Baking Powder right before frying.
2. Best had fresh and hot, but can be made ahead and frozen. Defrost in the fridge and reheat in the oven.