We love tricks and shortcuts to some dishes. Here, by popular demand from students and bachelors, here is a quick and easy recipe for Instant Tomato Rasam. In just a few minutes, you’ll be on your way to enjoying a steaming hot bowl of rasam. Have it as a soup or with some plain white rice…comforting! Add a dollop of ghee and you will be licking your fingers for a long time.
Video at the end of post.
Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Green Chilies – to taste, slit
Whole Black Peppercorns – 1/4 tsp, roughly crushed
Garlic – 2 large cloves, roughly crushed
Tomato Soup – 1 can
Water – 1 1/2 cans
Tamarind Paste – 1 tsp or to taste
Salt – to taste
Rasam Powder – 1 tsp
Cilantro – chopped for garnishing
1. Heat Ghee in a pan.
2. Add Mustard Seeds and let them pop.
3. Add Asafoetida, Curry Leaves, Green Chilies, Garlic and Black Peppercorns. Mix.
4. Add Tomato Soup and Water.
5. Add Tamarind Paste, Rasam Powder and Salt. Mix well and allow it to come to a boil.
6. Garnish with Cilantro.
7. Serve hot as a soup or with plain white rice.