Okra Raita is a medley of crisp, crunch, flavor, coolness, eye-appeal and uniqueness. A little patience takes us a long way and is so worth the effort. Okra is a favorite vegetable for a lot of folks, so enjoy this great combination.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 25 min.
Serves: 4 – 6
Bhindi /Okra – 1 lb
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Chaat Masala – 1 tsp or to taste
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Yogurt – 2 cups
Cilantro – few sprigs, chopped fine
Green Chilies – to taste, chopped fine
1. Wash, wipe and remove the end of the Okra.
2. Using a Food Processor, pulse a few times to chop them.
3. In a wide pan, heat Oil and add Mustard Seeds.
4. Once they pop, add Asafoetida, and the finely chopped Okra.
5. Add Chaat Masala, red Chili Powder and Salt and mix.
6. Reduce heat to a low and cook Okra till it shrinks, gets crunchy and changes color.
7. It will take a while and have patience and keep stirring so there is even cooking.
8. When the Okra gets a dark brown color and it has shrunk quite a bit, it is done.
9. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
10. In a serving bowl, beat the Yogurt and add Salt, Cilantro & Green Chilies and mix.
11. At time of serving, sprinkle or mix in the Okra.
1. Store the Yogurt and Okra separately and mix together right before serving so it retains the crunch.
2. If the Okra looses crunch, place in a oven or toaster oven on low heat for a few minutes.