Fenugreek Rice or Methi Pulao is a very simple yet delicious rice dish that can be had all by itself or be served with other dishes. Fenugreek is now considered a superfood and is making a comeback as a staple in all the diets. Growing up, I remember just disliking it due to the bitterness but now I do actually enjoy it. In this dish, the methi is just the right amount that you can tell it’s there, reap the benefits and yet, it’s not overpowering where kiddos won’t touch it! We had this at a friend’s place and were floored by the color, the flavor and the presentation.
Video at the bottom of the post.
Prep time: 30 min (including soaking)
Cook time: 30 min
Fenugreek/Methi – 1 bunch ((approx 1/2 lb or 250 g)
Rice- 2 cups
Oil – 2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Tomato – 1, med. diced
Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies – to taste, finely chopped
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Coriander Powder (Dhaniya) – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Water – 4 cups
1. Chop the roots and the thick stems off the bunch of Fenugreek Leaves.
2. Wash well and finely chop the rest.
3. Sprinkle a generous amount of Salt on the leaves, mix and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
4. Wash the Rice well and soak in some Water and keep aside for 20 minutes.
5. In a pan (that has a tight fitting lid), heat Oil on medium heat.
6. Once the Oil is hot, add in the Cumin Seeds and allow them to change color.
7. Add in Green Chillies and Tomatoes, Turmeric Powder.
8. Squeeze out the water from the Fenugreek Leaves and put them in the pan.
9. Add in Coriander Powder and Red Chili Powder.
10. Cook for a couple of minutes.
11. Drain the water from the Rice and add the Rice to the Methi Leaves.
12. Cook for 2 minutes.
13. Add the Water and mix well.
14. Check on the Salt, add in needed.
15. Increase the heat, and allow the Rice to cook till most of the Water has evaporated and you can see the Rice come up to the surface.
16. Mix, lower heat, preferably to simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes.
17. After 15 minutes, open cover, turn off the heat, mix/fluff gently.
18. Cover and allow the Rice to rest for a couple of minutes before serving.
19. Serve hot with Raita and pickle.
1. Kasoori Methi/Dried Fenugreek Leaves can be substituted (approx 1 cup).
2. If Dried Fenugreek leaves are being used, there is not required to salt and soak the leaves. Add directly to the pan.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to use methi, how do I make methi pulao, what is methi, is methi and fenugreek same, make fenugreek palif, pulao, pulav, pilav