There are so many ways to flavor rice and today we’re featuring coconut! This Coconut Rice recipe (Thengai Sadam in Tamil) can be made with fresh rice or is a perfect way to use of leftover rice. Give yourself a break after the big holiday weekend and make simple, delicious Coconut Rice!
Prep Time: 20 mins to make rice
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Rice – 1 cup cooked with 2 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt
Coconut Oil – 1 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Chana Daal – 1 Tbsp
Cashews – 1/4 cup, whole or broken
Urad Daal – 1 Tbsp
Dry Red Chilies – to taste, broken
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Fresh Coconut – 1/2 cup, finely shredded
1. If making fresh rice, spread out rice on a plate immediately after cooking to prevent clumping.
2. Heat Coconut Oil in a pan on medium heat.
3. Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
4. Add Chana Daal and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Add Cashews and cook until they turn a light golden color.
6. Add Urad Daal, Dry Red Chilies, Curry Leaves and Asafoetida. Mix.
7. Add Coconut and cook until it changes to light golden color.
8. Add cooked rice and toss until well coated and heated through.
9. Serve hot with yogurt or pickle.