It’s so convenient to go to the Indian grocery store to buy pickles but have you ever wondered how long the bottle sat on the shelf before you picked it up? Well, you won’t wonder when you make this easy Carrot and Green Chili Pickle recipe at home — with fresh ingredients! You will be able to control the amount of salt you use and tailor it to your tastes.
Carrots – 1/2 lb (peeled and thick julienned)
Green Chilies – 1/2 lb (cut in half long ways and cut in half again across the center)
Salt – 2 tsp (or to taste)
Oil – 4 Tbsp
Rai Kuria – 2 tsp
White Vinegar – 2 tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/8 tsp
Lemon Juice – 1 to 2 Tbsp (according to taste)
Additional Salt – to taste
1. In a large mixing bowl, add Carrots, Chilies and 2 tsp Salt.
2. Mix well, cover and keep aside for about 2 hours (mix in between).
3. Using a sieve, drain off all liquid which has formed in the bowl and discard.
4. Line a large tray with paper towels and spread the Carrots and Chilies in a single layer.
5. If time permits, place tray in the sun for 1-2 hours to allow the Carrots and Chilies to dry out (best option). If not, place a second layer of paper towels over the Carrots and Chilies and blot them dry.
6. In a mixing bowl, add Oil, Rai Kuria, White Vinegar, Asafoetida, Lemon Juice and Salt. Whip until mixture is emulsified.
7. Add dried Carrots and Chilies and mix well to coat.
8. Cover and keep aside for 3-4 hours (mixing in between) before storing in the refrigerator in a clean, dry jar.
9. Shelf life is up to 1 month.