Chayote Squash is one that we tend to overlook but next time, think again. This one like most from squash family, has high water content besides being high in Vitamins C and B. We love the fact that it can be had raw or cooked, so it is a quick one to stir up on days when there is not a lot of time for cooking. It is a fall vegetable (even though we see it through out the year) and is available in abundance at great prices right now. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Chayote Squash – 1 LB ( approx 3)
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Dry Red Chilli – to taste, broken
Curry Keaves – 1 sprig
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/8th teaspoon
Split Black Gram Daal (Channa Daal) – 1 tablespoon
Urad Daal – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – 1 teaspoon
Green Chillies – to taste, chopped
Salt – to taste
Fresh Shredded Coconut – 2 tablespoons
1. Wash and peel the Chayote Squash.
2. Cut into 1 inch cubes. Set aside.
3. In a skillet, heat Oil on medium heat.
4. Once hot, add the Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
5. Add in the Dry Red Chilli, Curry Leaves, Asafoetida, Channa Daal.
6. Stir for 30 seconds.
7. Add in the Urad Daal and cook for another 30 seconds.
8. Add in the Haldi and the Green Chillies.
9. Right after that add in the chopped Chyote Squash and Salt and mix well.
10. Cover and cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
11. Once cooked, add in the freshly shredded Coconut and mix.
12. Remove from the flame and serve hot as a side dish to Rice or Chapatis.