If you are looking to make a hearty, healthy meal, look no further. Try this easy Mexican Lasagna recipe with the layering concept of traditional Italian lasagna but with a Mexican twist on the ingredients.
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Red Bell Pepper – 1 large, sliced into bite size pieces
Green Bell Pepper – 1 large, sliced into bite size pieces
Onion – 1 large, sliced
Taco Seasoning – 1 Tbsp or to taste
Salt – to taste
Corn Tortillas – approx 12, cut in half
Prepared Refried Beans – 1 can (click here for recipe)
Black Beans – 1 can, drained and rinsed
Cheese – as much as you like (Colby/Jack or Cheddar are good options)
Black Olives – optional
Jalapenos – optional
Spray Cooking Oil
Preheat Oven 375F/190C
1. Heat Oil in a skillet and add Bell Peppers and Onions. Mix well.
2. Add Taco Seasoning and saute on high heat until lightly caramelized on top but still crunchy.
3. Add Salt, mix well and remove from pan into another plate to stop further cooking. Keep aside.
4. Lightly coat an oven safe casserole dish (approx 9in x 5in) with spray cooking oil.
5. Place few Corn Tortillas on the bottom of casserole dish to completely cover (overlap if necessary).
6. Lightly spray cooking oil over the tortillas.
7. Spread 1/3 of Refried Beans over tortillas.
8. Spread 1/3 of Veggie mixture over beans.
9. Spread 1/3 of Black Beans over veggies. (Reserve a few tablespoons of black beans for garnishing)
10. Sprinkle as much cheese as desired over the beans.
11. Arrange a second layer of tortillas and follow all above steps.
12. Arrange a third layer of tortillas and follow all above steps.
13. End with a final layer of tortillas, sprinkle cheese over the top and garnish with a few black beans, black olives, jalapenos, etc.
14. Cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes at 375F/190C. Remove foil and broil for 3-5 minutes to lightly brown cheese.
15. Allow Mexican Lasagna to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
16. Serve with shredded lettuce, sour cream, salsa, etc.