Chocolate Mousse is a rich but remarkably light and fluffy dessert. Try this easy chocolate mousse recipe that has a hint of coffee flavor and you won’t even think about going to a fancy restaurant to enjoy such a delectable delight.
Ingredients: (Makes approx 6 half-cup servings)
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – 1 cup
Butter – 1 Tbsp
Hot Water – 2 Tbsp
Instant Coffee Powder – 2 tsp
Eggs – 2 large (separated into yolks and whites)
Sugar – 1 tsp (to be mixed with egg yolks)
Cream of Tartar – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Sugar – 2 tsp (to be mixed with egg whites)
Heavy Whipping Cream – 1/2 cup
Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
Powdered Sugar – 1 Tbsp
1. Mix Instant Coffee into the 2 Tbsp of Hot Water.
2. In a mixing bowl, add Chocolate Chips, Butter and Coffee mixture and melt it into a smooth sauce using a double boiler method. Keep aside to lightly cool.
3. In another mixing bowl, add 2 Egg Yolks and 1 tsp Sugar and place on the double boiler. Keep whisking until eggs turn a light lemon yellow color (approx 2 1/2 minutes).
4. Immediately mix together hot egg mixture into the warm chocolate mixture until smooth. Allow mixture to cool completely.
5. In a mixing bowl, add 2 Egg Whites, Cream of Tartar and Salt. Beat until soft peaks appear.
6. Add 2 tsp Sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
7. In a separate bowl, add Heavy Whipping Cream, Vanilla Extract and Powdered Sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
8. Add 1/3 of Egg Whites into Chocolate mixture and quickly mix through.
9. Add remaining Egg Whites and gently fold in.
10. Add Whipped Cream a little at a time and gently fold in. Avoid over mixing.
11. Either pipe or spoon mousse into serving cups and chill in the refrigerator for a minimun of 2 hours.
12. Garnish with additional whipped cream and serve cold.