With so many holidays right around the corner, who doesn’t need a fast and easy dessert (mithai) recipe? This Chewy Walnut and Besan Burfi recipe absolutely fits the bill. Go ahead and let your friends and family think you slaved in the kitchen all day!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 mins plus Cooling Time: 20 mins
Makes: approx 25-30 pieces
Chickpea Flour (Besan) – 2 1/2 cups, sifted
Oil – 4 Tbsp
Unsalted Butter – 4 Tbsp
Walnuts – 1 cup, chopped finely
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Sweetened Condensed Milk – 14 oz can
1. In a non-stick pan, heat Oil and Butter.
2. Add sifted Chickpea Flour, mix well and roast on a low flame, approx 15 mins (stirring continuously). Use a flat bottomed steel bowl or ladle to break down lumps.
3. Reduce flame to a simmer and add chopped Walnuts and Cardamom Powder. Mix well.
4. Add Condensed Milk and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
5. Immediately pour mixture onto a greased or parchment paper lined baking tray.
6. Using the flat bottomed steel bowl (greased) or ladle, flatten our the mixture into a thin (1/4 inch). If using parchment paper, place a second sheet over the mixture and flatten out using the steel bowl.
7. Allow the Burfi to cool in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
8. Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut burfi into diamond or square pieces.