“You can’t ever have enough Dessert recipes”! Well said! This one is definitely one that takes me back home – to a very comfortable and a warm place. Easy to make and very hearty, and I love to make desserts at home as I can control the sugar amounts and make it to my taste. Enjoy this special Halwa.
Soak Time: 3 hours minimum
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Channa Daal – 1/2 cup
Milk – 3 cups
Sugar – 1/3 cup or to taste
Ghee – 1/2 cup
Cardamom Seeds Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Cashew – to taste
1. Wash the Channa Daal and soak in the Milk for minimum 3 hours. Best to soak overnight in the refrigerator.
2. In a Pressure Cooker, allow it to whistle once, lower flame and allow to whistle once more.
3. Take it off the flame and let the pressure release by itself.
4. Transfer to a non-stick pan and cook. Keep stirring and allow to thicken.
5. With the help of a flat spatula, press down on the Daal and gently mash the pieces of Daal.
6. Once the milk thickens, reduce the flame and add in the Sugar.
7. Mix well and allow the Sugar to melt and combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
8. Add in the Ghee. a little at a time and keep mixing and combining.
9. Cook till the Ghee is incorporated in well and the Halwa is the desired consistency. It should also be glistening.
10. Switch off the flame and add in Cardamom Powder and Dry Fruits.
11. Serve hot.