Amaranth Seeds loaded with proteins, amino acids and very high in calcium but when something is so good for you, it is hard to incorporate it in your daily meals and enjoy it as well. Here is a quick recipe that will work wonders with you and your family. Change the daals with the Amaranth Seeds and get new flavors every time! Did we mention that Amaranth Seeds are Gluten free?
Prep Time: 15min
Cook Time: 30 min
Serves – 4
Amaranth Seeds (Rajgira) – 1/4 cup
Toor Daal – 1/4 cup
Channa Daal – 1/4 cup
Green Mung Daal – 1/4 cup
Maur Daal/Brown Lentils – 1/4 cup
Water = 3.75 cups
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asofoetida/Hing – 1/8th tsp
Turmeric/ Haldi – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Onions – 1/2 cup, chopped
Ginger – 1tbsp, minced
Garlic – 1 tbsp, minced
Green Chillies – to taste, slit
Tomatoes – 1 medium, chopped
Lime Juice – to taste
Cilantro/Dhaniya Patta – few sprigs, chopped
1. Wash and strain the Amaranth Seeds.
2. Combine the Daals, wash and drain.
3. In a pressure cooker, combine the Daals, Amaranth, Water and a little Salt.
4. Pressure cook for 3 whistles, turn off the flame and allow the pressure to release by itself. Set aside.
5. In a pan, add heat Oil on medium heat.
6. Once the Oil is hot add the Mustard Seeds and allow them to splutter.
7. Add in Asofoetida, Turmeric and Curry Leaves. Cook for just about 30 seconds.
8. Add in the Onions and a little Salt to speed the cooking process. Cook till the Onions get a little color.
9. Add in the Tomatoes and cook for another minute. Do not over cook the Tomatoes.
10. Lower the flame and add the cooked Daal from the pressure cooker to the pan.
11. Increase the flame once again and allow the daal to come to a boil.
12. Add in fresh Lime Juice and some Cilantro leaves and serve hot.