Sindhi Kadhi is a dish that is fully rounded and has so many levels of flavor. The hints of sweet and tangy combined with the spiciness and the beautifully colored vegetables is a feast to the eyes and to the hungry stomach. Change out the vegetables, eliminate some you don’t like or add on the ones you love – it’s a very forgiving dish. Enjoy this Sindhi Kadhi with some plain white Basmati Rice and you’ll need little else to satisfy the soul.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Serves: 4 – 6
Water – 5.5 Cups + .5 Cups
Besan/Chick Pea Flour – 1/3 Cup
Drumsticks – 1 Cup, cut to 1″ length
Carrots – 2 med. peeled, washed and cut
Cauliflower – 2 big florets, cut to bite-size
Green Beans – 10, cut to 1/2″ pieces
Potato – 1 medium, cubed
Green Chillies – 4 or to taste, slit
Small Eggplants – 3, cubed
Oil – 1 tbsp
Methi / Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Salt – to taste
Jaggery – 2 tbsp or to taste
Tamarind – 2 tbsp or to taste
Cilantro – for garnish
1. In pressure cooker, combine the Chickpea Flour and the 5.5 cups of Water and remove all lumps.
2. Pressure cook for 1 whistle and allow the pressure to release by itself.
3. In a small saucepan, combine the 1/2 cup Water and the Drumsticks and allow them to come to a boil.
4. Once the Water and the Drumsticks have come to a boil, low heat to a simmer and cook till ready to use.
5. In a big open pan, heat Oil on medium heat and add in the Fenugreek Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
6. Add in Turmeric and Red Chilli Powder and immediately after that all the Vegetables (Potatoes, Green Chilies, Carrots, Cauliflower, Beans & Eggplant)
7. Turn the flame up to a high, mix and coat all the Vegetable with the Oil.
8. Cook for about 3 minutes or till the Vegetables get a slight golden brown and lower the heat to a medium.
9. Add in the Chickpea Flour and Water, add the Drumsticks and the water, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
10. Add in the Salt, Jaggery and Tamarind Paste and mix.
11. Increase heat and allow the Kadhi to reduce and thicken up to a thin custard consistency.
12. Garnish with Cilantro and serve with Rice.