One curry recipe that stands out from the bunch is the famous Mirchi Ka Salan recipe from Hyderabad (capital city of Andhra). Whole green chilies are pan-fried and simmered in a flavorful sesame seed and peanut sauce. The dish is easy to prepare and has a refreshingly pleasing taste. Recipe submitted by Prachi from Germany.
Mirchi (Jalapeno Peppers or other mild chili) – 1 lb (500 g) – slit on one side and deseeded
Dry Red Chili – 1
Whole Cloves – 2
Cinnamon Stick – 1″ piece
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
Roasted Peanuts – 1/2 cup
Sesame Seeds – 1/4 cup, toasted
Oil – 1 tsp
Onion – 1 small, chopped
Ginger – 1″ piece
Garlic – 3 cloves
Tamarind Concentrate – 1 tsp or to taste
Water – approx 2 cups
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Salt – to taste
Jaggery or Sugar – to taste (optional for balanced flavor)
1. In a heavy bottom skillet, dry roast Dry Red Chili, Cloves, Cinnamon Stick, Cumin Seeds and Coriander Seeds until fragrant. Keep aside.
2. In the same pan, toast Sesame Seeds until light golden. Keep aside.
3. In the same pan, dry roast Peanuts and remove skins (or use bottled dry roasted peanuts, salted or unsalted). Keep aside.
4. In the same pan, heat 1 tsp Oil and saute Onions until golden brown.
5. Blend into a smooth paste all ingredients from #1, #2, #3, #4, Ginger, Garlic and Tamarind Paste using 1 cup water (a little at a time).
6. In a non-stick pan, heat 1 Tbsp Oil.
7. Add Jalapenos and roast them until the skins are sand colored.
8. Add blended paste plus remaining 1 cup Water to the pan.
9. Add Turmeric Powder, Salt, Red Chili Powder and Jaggery. Mix well, cover and cook for 15 – 20 minutes. Stir in between.
10. Serve with Biryani, Chapati or plain white rice.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
What is mirchi ka salan, how to make mirchi ka salan recipe, andhra recipes, hydrabadi recipes cuisine, recipes using jalapenos, spicy curries, what to serve with biryani.