Festivals and feasts go hand in hand. Try this delicious Puran Poli recipe for any of the joyous days of Diwali. Known by different names such as vedhmi or gari rotli in Gujarat, this sweet filling stuffed roti/rotli will be a delectable treat for your family.
Ingredients: (For 12 Puran Poli)
Toor Daal – 1 cup, soaked for 45 minutes and drained
Water – 1 1/2 cups
Sugar – 1 1/2 cups
Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp ground with Saffron – pinch
Nutmeg Powder – 1/8 tsp
Fennel Seed Powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Cardamon Powder – 1/4 tsp
Whole Wheat Chapati Flour – 2 cups
Oil – 4 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Warm Water – 3/4 cup
Additional Chapati Flour or All-purpose Flour – for dusting and rolling
Ghee – for smearing over Puran Poli
1. In a pressure cooker, add drained Toor Daal and Water. Pressure cook for 1 whistle, switch off the stove and allow the pressure to come down.
2. Transfer cooked daal to a microwave safe bowl or container with a lid.
3. Add 1 1/2 cups Sugar and 1 tsp Ghee. Mix well to dissolve Sugar and microwave covered for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine ingredients for Roti and knead soft dough. For detailed instructions, see this video.
5. When 10 minutes are over, add ground Saffron/Sugar mixture and Cardamom Powder to the Daal mixture.
7. Stir Daal mixture well and microwave covered again for 10 minutes.
8. Add Cardamom Powder, mix well and allow mixture to cool – enough to be able to make 12 equal sized balls with your hands without burning yourself. Mixture should not be cold. Use greased hands to form balls.
10. Divide Rotli dough into 12 equal portions.
11. Roll one dough ball out into a small approx 4 inch disc.
12. Place one Daal ball onto the center of the disc. Bring up sides of the dough and pinch to completely encase the Daal ball. Twist and remove excess dough.
13. Flatten the filled ball and dust with chapati flour or all-purpose flour and gently roll out the Puran Poli.
14. Place Puran Poli on a hot tawa or skillet and allow it to cook on one side.
15. Flip it over and allow it to cook on the other side.
16. Smear the hot Puran Poli with Ghee and serve immediately or keep in an insulated container until all Puran Poli have been cooked.