Theplas, another variation of parathas that have a great shelf-life and have an amazing flavor. The yogurt in it makes them soft and the fenugreek makes them healthy and very delicious. A spicy paratha that is synonymous with the State of Gujarat. A lot of people feel it’s the best food to take along for picnics, long distance travels or tiffins for work. Enjoy these delicious Theplas and have a taste of Gujarat!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 2-3 minutes each
Makes – approx 20 theplas
Fenugreek Leaves – 2 tbsp (fresh or dried)
Whole Wheat Flour/ Atta – 3 cups
Oil – 2 tbsp
Yogurt – 1 cup
Salt – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Minced Garlic – 1 tbsp
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves/Dhaniya – 1/4 cup, packed
Warm Water – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
1. In a big bowl, mix Whole Wheat Flour and Oil (2 tbsp) and incorporate the two well together.
2. In a separate bow, mix well the following: Yogurt, Salt, Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Minced Garlic, Fenugreek Leaves, Cilantro.
3. Mix the above Yogurt mixture into the Flour and knead.
4. Add additional Warm Water little at a time if needed. Knead to form a ball of dough.
5. Drizzle a few drops of Oil, smear, cover and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes.
6. Heat a tawa/flat skillet on medium flame.
7. Make golf size balls of the dough and start rolling just as you would for chapati. Use dry Flour to dust.
8. Roll and place on a hot Tawa and cook.
9. Once the dough starts to change color, flip and cook for a couple of minutes on the other side.
10. Drizzle a few drops of Oil and smear and flip once again.
11. Drizzle and smear Oil on this side as well.
12. Press gently with a spatula and allow to cook till there are a few golden spots.
13. Take off the skillet and serve hot or place in a hot casserole till ready to serve.
1. Theplas have a great shelf-life.