Egg Rolls have a universal appeal and element of surprise once you bite into this delicious cylindrical shaped Asian appetizer wonder! Stuff them with vegetables, noodles and /or cooked and shredded meats and you can do wonders with it. Egg Rolls sometimes known as Spring Rolls are just worth the effort.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Serves : 6 pcs.
Egg Roll Wrappers – 1 pkt
Sesame Seed Oil or Vegetable Oil – 1 tbsp
Minced Ginger – 1 tbsp
Shredded Cabbage – 2 cups
Shredded Carrots – 1/2 cup
Green Onions / Spring Onions – 3, thinly sliced
Corn Starch – 1 tsp
Soy Sauce – 1 tbsp or to taste
Water – 1 tsp
Corn Starch – 1 tsp
Oil – for deep frying
1. Heat the Oil in a wok. If using Sesame Oil, allow it to reach a smoking point. Do that burn the Oil if using Vegetable Oil.
2. Add in Ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add in the Cabbage, Carrots and Spring Onions.
4. Increase the heat to a maximum, toss and cook till the vegetable till they are cooked but not limp (approx 3 min).
5. Lower the heat.
6. Mix 1 tsp of Corn Starch in the 1 tbsp of Soy Sauce.
7. Add the mixture to the Vegetables.
8. Mix well, turn off the flame and take it off the stove.
9. Allow it to cool down to room temperature before we start rolling the egg rolls.
10. Divide the mixture into equal portions.
11. Mix 1 tsp of Corn Starch in 1 tsp of cold Water and mix for sealing the Egg Rolls.
12. Take an Egg Roll Wrapper and place it diagonally so it looks like a diamond shape in front.
13. Place 1 part of the mixture in a line a little below the pointed edges.
14. Take the pointed edge facing you and start wrapping over the mixture.
15. Wrap the edges on the side to envelope the mixture.
16. Start rolling till only the top edge is left.
17. Seal the top edge with the corn starch and water mixture.
18. Continue wrapping till it’s all done.
19. Prep all the egg rolls.
20. Preheat the Oil for deep frying on medium heat.
21. Place the Egg Rolls gently in the Oil.
22. Cook till they are golden in the bottom side and then roll over to cook on the other side.
23. Once done, take out gently and place then on a paper towel.
24. Serve hot with some Chili Sauce or Duck Sauce.
1. Shred some cooked and shredded meat (chicken, pork, beef, shrimp)
2. Add some noodles or different vegetables…experiment!
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make homemade eggrolls, egg roll recipe, vegetable spring rolls, easy appetizer ideas for asian themed party, crispy egg roll recipe, vegan appetizer recipes.