Turai, Chinese Okra AKA Angled Luffa Gourd is a vegetable that is very low in calories and covers about 20% of RDA of Vitamin C (WOW!). Believe it or not that is true. This simplistic Turai a dish that is truly ‘home-cooking’….Try this great version with Methi (my Fav) and see how you like it.
Chinese Okra (Turai) – 1
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Onion – 1, medium, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tbsp, minced
Garlic – 1 tbsp, minced
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek Leaves ( Methi) – 1/2 cup, packed, finely chopped
Tomato – 2, medium, finely chopped
Green Chili – to taste, finely chopped
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Water – 1/2 cup
1. Peel the ridges of the Turai and cut into semi-circle discs.
2. In a wok-style pan, heat the oil on medium heat.
3. Add the Cumin Seeds and allow them to splutter.
4. Add in Onions, Ginger and Garlic. Cook till they turn brown.
5. Add the Chinese Okra (Turai) and saute for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the Turmeric, Green Chilies and Fenugreek leaves.
7. Saute for another minute till the leaves wilt.
8. Add in the Tomatoes, Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Add in the Salt, Garam Masala and mix well.
10. Add Water, cover and cook till the Turai is soft and cooked.
11. Serve with Chapatis or Rice. Serves 2-3 ( depending on the size of the Chinese Okra)
1. Use 1 cube of frozen Fenugreek Leaves when fresh is not in available.
2. Substitute the Fenugreek with Spinach (1 cup) to make it more kid-friendly and a nice change.
3. Don’t go by the looks and simplicity of this dish…give it a shot and you will love the taste.
4. Adjust the water amount if you like the turai softer or more firm.