Sometimes, the thought of making a Chicken Biryani seems too time consuming or difficult. Let this easy Chicken Pulao recipe come to your rescue. In no time, you can enjoy the taste of long grain, aromatic Basmati rice flavored with spicy chicken.
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs – approx 1 lb, cut to bite size pieces
Salt – to taste
Black Pepper – to taste
Basmati Rice – 1 cup (washed, soaked for 1 hour and drained)
Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 1 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Cinnamon Stick – 1.5 inch piece
Bay Leaf – 1
Black Cardamom – 1
Green Cardamom – 2
Cloves – 4
Onions – 1 cup, chopped
Garlic – 1.5 Tbsp, minced
Ginger – 1.5 Tbsp, minced
Green Chilies – 2 to 3 or to taste, slit
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder – optional or to taste
Yogurt – 1/4 cup
Water – 1 3/4 cup
Cilantro – 10 sprigs, chopped (divided)
Salt – to taste
Lime Juice – for garnishing
1. Sprinkle Salt and Black Pepper on Chicken pieces and mix through.
2. In a pan with a tight fitting lid, heat 1 Tbsp Ghee (Clarified Butter) on medium heat.
3. Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
4. Add Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf, Black Cardamom, Green Cardamom and Cloves. Saute for 30 seconds.
5. Add Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies. Mix and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add Onions and a little Salt. Mix well. Cook until Onions are translucent and slightly caramelized.
7. Add all dry spice powders and mix.
8. Add Chicken and keep tossing until all pieces turn white from the outside.
9. Reduce flame to a low and add chopped Cilantro (5 sprigs) and Yogurt and mix well. Increase heat to medium and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes until chicken is white on the inside when cut.
10. Add drained Rice and mix well.
11. Add Water and a little Salt and bring to a boil.
12. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes (undisturbed).
13. Turn off stove, uncover and fluff rice gently.
14. Add chopped Cilantro and cover to allow pulao to rest for 10 minutes.
15. Serve hot with Raita or Pickle.
1. Use left-over Chicken Curry and make pulao.