No Indian meal is complete without a flavorful rice dish. Try this delicious recipe for Mushroom Pulao, made with fragrant Basmati Rice and caramelized mushrooms. Serve it with raita, plain yogurt or a side salad…Wow!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Basmati Rice – 1 cup, washed and soaked for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Mushrooms – 8 oz, sliced thick
Water – 2 cups
Salt – 1 tsp
Lemon/Lime Juice – 2 tsp
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
Green Cardamom – 2
Cloves – 4
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Onion – 1/2 cup, chopped
Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
Garlic – 1 Tbsp, minced
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Frozen Green Peas – 1/2 cup, thawed
Red Bell Pepper – 1/2, chopped
To purchase spices online, visit www.herbco.com
1. Bring Water to a boil in a sauce pan with a lid and turn off the stove.
2. Add Salt and Lemon/Lime Juice and stir.
3. Add sliced Mushrooms, stir, cover and allow to steep while working on the rest of the process (about 15 mins)
4. Heat Oil in a non-stick pan with a cover.
5. Add Bay Leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Green Cardamom and Cloves. Cook for 30 seconds.
6. Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
7. Add Onions and cook for 1-2 minutes until translucent.
8. Add Ginger and Garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
9. Strain and reserve liquid from Mushrooms.
10. Add strained Mushrooms to the pan and cook until Mushrooms are golden brown and caramelized.
11. Drain water from the rice and add soaked rice to the pan.
12. Add Garam Masala and Red Chili Powder.
13. Mix well and cook for 1 minute until Rice is coated with the oil and spices.
14. Add Green Peas and Bell Pepper and mix well.
15. Time to add in Mushroom Water (broth) to the pan and allow it to come to a boil, uncovered.
16. Cover the pan, reduce the stove to a low (simmer) and set timer for 15 minutes. Do not open the pan or stir in between.
17. After 15 minutes, turn off stove and fluff the pulao with a fork to loosen all of the grains.
18. Cover again and allow the pulao to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
19. Serve hot with Raita, plain yogurt and/or salad.