There are so many different types of “Chicken Curry” or “Curry Chicken” recipes as there are people! As an example, in this chicken curry Indian recipe, just throw in some yogurt, mint, fenugreek leaves or even veggies and watch this dish change color and taste. Some people argue over what is authentic chicken curry, but in our opinion there is no such thing because every region has it’s own authentic chicken curry recipe.
Let’s all agree, it’s one hot and spicy Chicken Curry. Enjoy!
Skinless Chicken – 2 lbs, cut
Water – 2 cups (approx)
Oil – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon stick – 2″pc
Black Cardomom – 1
Cloves – 5
Green Cardamom – 2
Bay Leaf – 2
Peppercorns – 1/4 tsp
Onions – 3, medium, chopped
Crushed Tomatoes – 1, 14 oz can
Garlic – 1 heaping tbsp, chopped
Ginger – 1 heaping tbsp, chopped
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Corriander Powder – 1.5 tsp
Green Chili – to taste (optional)
Cilantro – for garnish, finely chopped
1. Wash the Chicken and drain the excess water well.
2. Heat a pan on medium heat.
3. Once hot, add in the Oil (hold back 1 tsp for later).
4. Allow it to heat up and add in Cloves, Peppercorns, Bay leaves and Green Cardamom.
5. Fry for about 30 seconds and then add in the Onions.
6. Add a little salt to experdite the cooking process. Mix well.
7. Cook for 3-5 minutes and add in the Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilis.
8. Cook and stir frequently. Allow the Onions to brown but not burn.
9. Add in the crushed tomatoes and cook until the oil starts seperating from the mixture. Stir frequently as tomatoes tend to burn quick.
10. Once the Oil starts seperating, turn off the flame and allow the masala to cool down a bit.
11. Blend the Masala into a smooth paste. Keep aside.
12. Heat the pan once agin and add in the balance of the Oil (1 tsp).
13. Once the Oil is hot, add in the Cinnamon Stick and the Black Cardamom.
14. Cook for 30 seconds and add in Turmeric Powder.
15. Mix and add in the Masala Paste.
16. Add Red Chili Powder, Coriander powder and Cumin Powder.
17. Add a little bit of water to avoid the Powders burning and to help them mix in the Masala well.
18. Once it is well mixed, add in the Chicken and allow it to seal.
19. After the chicken has turned white, add in the desired amout of water.
20. Mix well and add Salt. Mix again.
21. Cover and cook till it is done, stirring frequently inbetween.
22. Garnish with Cilantro (and a dash of Lime Juice!).
23. Serves 6.
1. For this Chicken Curry recipe, chicken with or without bones can be used.
2. Healthiest part of the chicken is the breast but the thighs and drumsticks tend to the more tender and tastier.
3. This is a great recipe for the Fozen Masala…just throw in the chicken, water, dry spices and cook till it is done.