Summers, picnics, barbecues… Its the perfect time to grill up some tandoori style seitan. Made from vital wheat gluten, seitan is the answer for vegetarians looking for a great meat substitute. Once the basic seitan recipe is made, you can use it for many different types of dishes. Try this Tandoori Seitan recipe for your next barbecue.
Prep Time: If using prepared Seitan, 5 minutes plus minimum 4 hrs marination time
Cook Time: Few minutes grilling time for each side
Prepared Seitan Fillets- from one cup vital wheat gluten (see recipe here)
For the Marinade:
Greek Yogurt – 1 cup (can be substituted with thick yogurt or hung yogurt)
Tandoori Masala – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
Garlic – 1 Tbsp, minced
Green Chilies – to taste, minced
Oil – 1 tsp
Lemon/Lime Juice – to taste
Spray Cooking Oil or Oil – for grilling or pan frying
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the marinade and mix well.
2. Gently squeeze excess liquid from Seitan fillets and add fillets to the marinade.
3. Gently mix to evenly coat marinade over Seitan fillets.
4. Cover bowl with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours (overnight if you have the time).
5. Marinated Seitan can be grilled (lightly coat grill with spray cooking oil) or pan fried with a drizzle of oil. Cook both sides until lightly charred.
6. Serve hot with a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.