Suji Halwa is associated with a lot of religious functions where it usually served as ‘prasad’ (offering to the Gods). It is so easy to make and so very delicious that it is also a no-brainer sure-hit dessert most of the times.
Prep time: 5min
Cook time: 15 min
Suji/Sooji/Cream of Wheat/Semolina – 1/2 cup (125 gms)
Ghee/Clarified Butter – 3 tbsp
Broken Cashews- 1 tbsp, heaped
Raisins – 1 tbsp, heaped
Sliced Almonds – 1 tbsp, heaped
Sugar – 1/2 cup (100 gms)
Water – 1.25 cup (300ml)
Saffron – pinch
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
1. Heat a pan on medium heat and pour in the Ghee.
2. Allow the Ghee to heat up and then add in the Cashews, Raisins and the Almonds.
3. Fry them for about 30 seconds till the Raisins plum up.
4. Add in the Suji and cook till it releases an aroma and has a wonderful light-golden color.
5. Meanwhile crush the saffron with a little bit of sugar in a mortar and pestel.
6. Continously stir the Suji till done.
7. Add Sugar and mix in well.
8. Heat up the water in the microwave to speed up process and add to the Suji.
9. Lower the heat, add in the Saffron and keep stirring till it reaches the desired consistency.
10. Lastly, add in the Cardamom Powder, mix well, cover and allow it to stand for a couple of minutes.
11. Serve hot!